Mischo Beauty School: Serums 101



So today I'd like to share with you the benefits of serums. I believe in serums and am amazed at how the skin benefits from them!

A serum is a highly concentrated treatment of active ingredients used to penetrate and treat various skin conditions such a dehydration, fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation issues or loss of elasticity. They're ususally made up of vitamins, lipids or antioxidants and are usually the consistency of a thin liquid. To allow for maxium penetration into the skin, they're formulated with smaller molecules which makes them extremely effective. They can be used both day and night and are usually applied under a moisturizer, but can be used alone. During a facial an esthetician might apply a serum under your mask or before the application of your moisturizer depending on your specific skincare needs.

So, do you need a serum? Well, I would suggest creating a skincare regimen and being faithful to it. Once you're consist with your regimen, really begin to pay attention to your skin and make note - for example- of dehydrated areas, loss of elasticity and dullness. If your skincare regimen doesn't correct these issues, then I'd highly suggest investing in a serum!

Love your skin.

Any questions?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try a serum, just because you advised it. I am having major breakout issues right now and I am sure most of it is diet related, but what can I do to get rid of the breakouts faster? I have an antibiotic lotion for spot treatment from my dermatologist, but what do you recommend from the esthetician (spelling?)perspective?

March 3, 2008 at 4:57 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

I recommend the following:

1. Start and stick to a skincare regimen both morning & night

2. Based on your skin's sensitivity- try exfoliating (2x a week) and using a clay based mask (2x a week)- the exfoliant will rid your skin of dead skin cells that have built up over time and the mask will draw out the oil, dirt and debris clogging your skin cells.

3. Make sure you are cleansing your skin morning & night! After being out and about all day and exposed to the environment, in addition to wearing an eye cream, moisturizer, makeup, etc- you really, really need to make sure you're cleansing your skin thoroughly before bed. If not this could be the cause of clogged skin cells which contribute to break outs.

4. Try an oil-free or water based moisturizer. You may have an excess amount of oil being produced which might be clogging your skin cells.

Any thoughts? I hope this helped!

March 3, 2008 at 5:45 PM
Anonymous said...

No, this is great. Are you trying to say then that, besides the antibiotic gel from the dermatologist, there is no quick fix to get these unattractive spots off of my face? :0) I know that Rome wasnt built in a day, but what about the pretty? LOL!

March 4, 2008 at 8:08 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

LOL! Sorry my dear- I'm working on the PERFECT serum and it will be the solution to your breakouts! But as of now- I would suggest you follow the steps in my previous comment.

Please let me know how things work out! Oh, and remember that the antibiotic get is a spot treatment only- please don't apply all over your face- your skin will not like you! ;)

March 4, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Post a Comment