Mischo Beauty School: Exfoliation 101



I'm sure you all are aware of the benefits of exfoliation (especially since the weather is colder/drier), but if you aren't, here's another very quick lesson! Exfoliation is simply the removal of dry, dead surface skin cells. An exfoliant is an ingredient that assists in the exfoliation process. Alpha hydroxy acids and gentle scrubs are examples of what would be called a chemical exfoliant and a physical exfoliant, respectively. You should incorporate exfoliation into your skincare regimen (as I've mentioned before!) and here are the reasons why:

1. Leaves skin feeling silky smooth!
2. Facilitates the extraction of dirt/oil that clogs pores (helps prevent acne!)
3. Faster cell turnover rate (keeps skin younger looking!)
4. Improves the skin's ability to retain moisture (prevents dry skin!)
5. Helps penetration/delivery of product ingredients into the skin
6. Stimulates blood flow
7. Smooth skin makes the application of makeup easier!

Any questions? Love your skin.

 

4 comments:

Shana Janelle said...

I have fallen in love with exfoliating (thanks to your recommendation) and have definitely seen an improvement in my skin since I started doing it - my question(s)- does it aid in the fading of hyperpigmentation or contribute to it? Is there a such thing as exfoliating too much/often?

November 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Yashieka said...

In addition to using exfoliation products, I recently started using the Clarisonic PLUS...after the first use, I could definitely see the difference between just using my hands verse the Clarisonic plus! Fabulous

November 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shana: Yes, there is a such thing as "over-exfoliation":

http://www.mischobeauty.com/2008/07/mischo-beauty-school-exfoliation-101.html

Please let me know if you have any questions! Also, I'd see a Dermatologist for issues with hyperpigmentation.

November 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Yashieka: Thanks for sharing that!

November 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Post a Comment