Mischo Beauty School: Microdermabrasion 101



I've been writing about the benefits of exfoliation and how important it is to incorporate it into your skincare regimen for the past few months. This post is in response to a few of my readers who have e-mailed me inquiring about microdermabrasion. They wanted to know what the procedure entailed and who would be the best candidate for it.

Well, microdermabrasion is a mechanical form of exfoliation that uses a vacuum to spray microcrystals across the skin. It is a noninvasive procedure that works to resurface the outermost layer of skin. The benefits include improved skin texture, moisture retention, elastin and collagen production, and reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation issues. You might be a candidate for this procedure if you've experienced the following:

- Sun Damage
- Coarse textured skin
- Enlarged pores
- Fine lines
- Wrinkles
- Pigmentation problems

The service usually includes a professional cleansing, massage, the microdermabrasion procedure itself, a soothing mask and the application of a moisturizer with a sunscreen. In order to achieve the best results, you really need to commit to a series (with each procedure 7-10 days apart) and be consistent with your home skincare regimen.

I've had this procedure performed on myself only because I was required while completing my esthetics program, but I'm not a candidate for it because I have easily sensitized skin. It is not recommended if you have sensitive skin or scar easily. The procedure can be uncomfortable and you might experience some sensitivity which usually goes away shortly thereafter.

If you're considering it, I would highly suggest having a thorough consultation with your esthetician. Based on a discussion about your lifestyle and medical history, it would be determined if it was appropriate for you. If improperly performed, it might cause hypopigmentation/hyperpigmentation (light/dark discoloration of the skin). The results from this procedure are amazing and those who've experienced the benefits from it recommend it without reservation.

Love your skin.

Have you had microdermabrasion? If so, what were the results?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really fighting the fight against enlarged pores. My mom has them so I believe I may be prone. As I've gotten older I've noticed that the skin on my cheeks beside my nose seems to be developing this large pore thing. But, I have sensitive skin, so I think that prohibits me from being a good microdermabrasion candidate. I want to see results though, with any product I try. Can you recommend something and also let me know what kind of realistic picture I should have in terms of how long it will take to see results? I know, I have MAD issues!

May 6, 2008 at 8:50 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "curly gurl": The one thing I recommend most is implementing a skincare regimen and being CONSISTENT with it! Based on what you've told me- you tend to have oilier skin which means your pores are filled w/ oil, dirt, debris, etc. I would make sure to exfoliate a few times a week, use a water based moisturizer, a clay mask and sunscreen! Make sure you cleanse your skin both in the morning and before bed. If you have sensitive skin, you definitely are NOT a candidate for microdermabrasion! Make sure you purchase products for your skin type--> "oily skin".

Do you have any other questions?

May 6, 2008 at 9:38 AM
Anonymous said...

If I have combination skin (oily/normal I think) do I still use products for oily skin and onlyin my t-zone? Does the skin on my cheeks count? I am so green when it comes to these things. I've always been a facial cleaner, exfoliate 1-2x per week and inconsistent moisturizer type of person. :0(

May 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "curly gurl": Depending on the degree of over-production of oil on your skin you could use products for oily skin or combination skin. The "t-zone" consists of your forehead, nose and chin- not your cheeks. You should definitely add a mask to your regimen- try 2x a week and make sure it's clay-based. Also, you need to be consistent with using your moisturizer! If you allow your skin to become too dry or dehydrated, your will produce even more oil to compensate for the lack of moisture.

Finally, if you can afford them, I'd suggest facials! Your skin will love you for it! :)

May 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Post a Comment