Mischo Beauty School: At-Home Skincare 101



I posted this earlier this year and felt it only appropriate to post again with the start of the new spring season. For those of you who haven't adopted a skincare regimen, it's never too late! Just about every client I've seen for facials asks me what they should do to maintain the health of their skin in-between facials. Here is my recommendation for an at-home skincare regimen:

1. Cleanse morning & night (never go to bed without removing makeup and cleansing your face!)

2. Tone after cleansing morning & night

3. Use a moisturizer with a minimum of SPF 15 during the day! (90% of aging is caused by UV rays; UVB rays burn the skin and UVA rays age the skin!)

4. Use a moisturizer with antioxidants at night

5. Use an eye cream both morning and night under your moisturizer (this is a preventive measure; signs of aging show first around the eyes, forehead, mouth, neck and hands)

6. Exfoliate 2x a week (helps with cell turnover and with the penetration of product ingredients into the skin)

7. Use a mask 2x a week (many, many benefits!)

8. Take a multi-vitamin daily and drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water daily

9. Eat fresh green vegetables at least 3x a week

10. Make sure you're getting adequate sleep!

The list above is a general guideline and will vary depending on skin type, age and other factors. The most important aspect of caring for your skin at home is first knowing your skin type and making sure you're using products specific to your skin type. For instance, if you have oily skin, look for products specifically for oily skin.

Love your skin.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions! Also, please share with us your skincare regimens - we want to know what works for you!

 

19 comments:

Dollfaced Rebel said...

I love your blog it is seriously insightful. Your posts are amazing, and i hope you don't mind my linking you!

April 14, 2008 at 1:50 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

Thanks- no problem! Keep up the great work w/ your blog too! :)

April 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM
fuzkittie said...

Yay for your awesome recommendations for people who need a skincare routine! I completely agree with you!

April 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "fuzkittie": Thank you! I'll do all that I can to help readers achieve clean & healthy skin!

April 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM
beautylogicblog said...

Since I don't leat leaffy veggies on a consisten basis, I take a Greens powdered supplement which is incredible.

April 15, 2008 at 9:06 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "dominican enigma": Thanks for that! Where can I find the "Greens Powdered Supplement"? Sounds like a great alternative.

April 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
beautylogicblog said...

I read all of Dr. Perricone's books and he recommends Veggie Magma. I've taken that, and have also taken Greens Plus. You can get a discount at www.vitacost.com Hugs, DE

April 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "dominican enigma": Awww- thanks so much! My list from you is getting longer- I also have the Aubrey Organics Shampoo & Conditioner and Giovanni's Shampoo & Conditioner!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

April 15, 2008 at 2:38 PM
The Jet Set Girls said...

Don't forget your decolletage area. Mine is starting to show my age, while my face (thanks to slavish use of SPF) is still in good shape. Fortunately, I'm only 21 ;)

April 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "the jet set girls": Yes! Thank you for that. I guess since I'm an esthetician I automatically include the neck and decollete- but not everyone knows that! So thank you again!!! The decollete IS your second face! :)

April 16, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Anonymous said...

I think you need to read your #10 again and apply apply apply! ;)

April 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Anonymous said...

oh and for all of those that worry about getting their leafy greens in... a secret I love to pass on that was passed on to me is to put some fresh spinach in a morning fruit smoothie (you'll never know it's there... trust me ;))

April 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Andrea: I know. #10 is a challenge, but I'm working on it!:) I love your smoothie suggestion- thank you for that!

April 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM
Anonymous said...

Hey,
I am new to the beauty blogging scene...as i have suddenly gotten interested in my skincare routine... that's because I am now on the right! side of 30...
Your blog is great and simple...
Tell me few natural,simple home tips for moisturizing, cleansing,and toning.That will be a great help!
Cheers.

April 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Sharon: Thanks for stopping by! I definitely recommend the steps outlined in my post, granted, of course you'll customize depending on your skin's needs.

If you're interested in more natural or organic products, then you're definitely in luck! Check out Sephora's website- they have a whole section dedicated to "natural" and "organic" products which may meet your criteria:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/section.jhtml?categoryId=C17824

Whole Foods also has a great page on natural ingredients with regards to skincare:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/wholebody/bodycare/skin.html

As far as actually using natural ingredients you have at home- well witch hazel is a great toner and aloe vera can be used as a hydrating mask for the face. Sugar and grapeseed oil can be mixed together for a great natural exfoliant. Steeping chamomile tea bags and allowing them to cool in the refrigerator makes for a great way to reduce puffiness around the eyes.

I hope this helped! Thanks so much again for stopping by! :)

April 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM
MGonzo said...

Hey Mischo, I am a 24 year old mother and haven't worn some sexy shorts in long while. I have stretch marks on the back of both of my legs. What can I do to make them a little more invisible or fade away? Help!!!!

MGonzo

April 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "mgonzo": In all honesty- I'd suggest you see a dermatologist because I can't tell you that an over-the-counter cream/oil will make them go away! Of course over the years I've heard of people using cocoa butter and vitamin E - but they won't penetrate deep enough into the dermis to completely remove them. You might see them diminish over time- but they won't completely remove them.

I hope this helped! Thanks for stopping by!

April 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Beautiful Eyes said...

I like to take the green powder supplement, it helps a lot.

January 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Beautiful Eyes: Good!

January 29, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Post a Comment