Mischo Beauty School: Cosmetic Ingredients 101


If you're like me, you've probably wondered, at some point in time, about what was in your shampoo or lotion or foundation. My interest in product ingredients dates back to my senior year in college when a friend and I chose to analyze the chemical composition of "lye" and "no lye" relaxers. We both just had to know what we were putting in our hair and why "no lye" relaxers were supposedly safer than lye relaxers. Oh and by the way, we were both chemistry majors. Well, without having to go into a lab to get answers, there's a book called "A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients". I actually just discovered this book while completing my cosmetology and esthetics programs. It's easy to follow and will allow you to make purchase decisions based on knowledge of a product's ingredients and whether they do what they claim to, while avoiding potential health issues.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems like a great resource! I am very holistic in my eating and body care regimens but it is very difficult to find all natural cosmetics that do the job as well as the mainstream cosmetics have done for me over the years-and the selection/variety is not as generous. Thanks for this. Will have to amazon it!

February 11, 2008 at 5:07 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

You're welcome! Just click on the highlighted "yellow" text in the post for purchasing suggestions...

February 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM
yummy411 said...

i've got to have this! thanks for giving the heads up!!!

February 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

You're welcome- it's a pretty good reference book to have on hand... Were you able to click on the link for purchasing options?

February 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Post a Comment