Mischo Beauty School: Nail Shape 101


I just discovered that I'd never posted a Mischo Beauty School lesson on nails, which is weird because my weekly Mischo Beauty Extra NOTD posts are my favorite. I'll admit that I had a fear of doing nails in cosmetology school, which is surprising, because I've always loved doing my own. Well, I've overcome the fear and now love nails as much as I do hair, skin and makeup.

So, let's discuss choosing a nail shape before your manicure. Here are a few things to consider:

1. The shape of your hands
2. The length of your fingers
3. The shape of your cuticles
4. The type of work you do

I was taught that the shape of your nail should mirror the shape of your cuticles, to ensure a natural look that will compliment your hands. Here are the most requested shapes:

1. Square Nail
2. Round Nail
3. Oval Nail
4. Pointed Nail
5. Squoval Nail

Keep in mind that an unusual shape will definitely draw attention to your nails and hands, and if you work with your hands, you should definitely choose a shape that will allow for a shorter nail length in order to avoid breakage.

Questions? What's your nail shape and why?

 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. Being a manicurist I can't tell you how many times people ask for nail shapes just because its popular no matter what their hands look like. Always Alway Alway shape your nails based on your hands.

December 10, 2008 at 8:13 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shalon: Thanks so much for your expert advice! :)

December 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM
Anonymous said...

wow... never even thought about the shape of my nail mirroring the shape of my cuticle... very interesting... thanks for passing along that helpful information ;)

December 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM
3 yrs to life said...

So what should you do if some of your cuticles are round and others a square? Yes, my nails are weird. I don't even have visible lunas :(

December 15, 2008 at 4:15 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Andrea: That's what I'm here for- you're welcome girly! :)

December 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Kay F": Hmmmm, I wish I had the perfect answer. I'd have to see your hands, nails, etc. But a good/experienced manicurist would know exactly what to do! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

December 16, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Anonymous said...

I think Im ready for a change in nail shape. I have been seeing lots of oval shapes that I used to hate! But now, I think Im ready to give it a try. Kinda of like the manicure in the picture above. :-) @velvetflames

April 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Anonymous/velvetflames: Try it and let me know your thoughts! :)

April 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Post a Comment