Mischo Beauty School: Bikini Waxing 101



This lesson was inspired by the many questions I’ve received over the past few days regarding waxing, specifically bikini waxing. So first let's understand waxing. It's basically a form of epilation- removing hair by pulling it out of the hair follicle. Because hair is removed from the hair follicle, it takes longer to grow back- generally 4-6 weeks.

Below I’ve listed my best tips on how to prepare for waxing and what to expect:

1. Your hair should be at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch long, if longer, prepare to have it trimmed by your esthetician.

2. Plan to wax after your menstrual cycle because your body will be less sensitive.

3. Lightly exfoliate a few days before waxing to remove dead skin cells and make hair easier to adhere to the wax.

4. A Brazilian bikini wax involves the removal of all hair, except for a “landing strip” in the front, but you may choose to have it all removed.

5. Your esthetician will tweeze stray hairs.

6. It may take 24 hours for any redness or soreness to disappear. During that time, avoid the sun, exfoliation, cream irritants and excessive heat.

7. Try to avoid caffeine, alcohol and aspirin before waxing as these heighten sensitivity.

8. If the wax pot is dirty and has old wax on it and a spatula sitting in the wax- RUN! There may be sanitation issues.

9. If your esthetician “double-dips” the spatula in the wax pot each time wax is applied to the area to be waxed- RUN! There are definitely sanitation issues.

10. Do not wax if you use Accutane, Retin-A, are sunburned, using other topical AHA's, or medications that will make your skin reactive to waxing.

11. Do not wax if you have diabetes. You are more vulnerable to infection.

12. You must wax consistently every 4 - 6 weeks for the first few times. This will give your hair time to begin growing on the same hair cycle. Don’t shave in between waxing appointments.

13. Resume exfoliation about 3 days after waxing to ensure the removal of dead skin cells, which, if not removed, could cause the hair to grow inward resulting in ingrown hairs.

Love your skin. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

 

16 comments:

beautylogicblog said...

It hurts like heck the first few times, but you'll get used to it.

November 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM
beautylogicblog said...

This is totally off topic but I love that girl's shoes. lol

November 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Anonymous said...

I just started bikini waxing and man does it hurt. I guess I'll have to get use to it and hopefully it will hurt less over time. Thanks for the waxing tips!

November 29, 2008 at 11:21 AM
Anonymous said...

I didn't know about not drinking caffeine before a wax.

All excellent tips and someone's got to come out and give good advice about bikini waxing. I've got friends who want to try it but they are too shy and worried about the whole process.

November 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM
yummy411 said...

great tips about hair removal etc even if you aren't doing a bikini wax! thanks!

December 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Dominican Enigma": Exactly! After the 2nd time, you won't even think about it...:)

December 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Dominican Enigma": Right! Girl, they're Jimmy Choo's and I believe they're part of the Cruise '09 collection..."I DIE!" :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Diana: You'll get used to it, just give yourself some time, the results are totally worth it! Thanks for stopping by. :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:14 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "astrorainfall": Thanks so much! I learned all of this from esthetics school, the International Dermal Institute and from waxing myself. I'm glad you find them useful.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:16 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "yummy411": Thank you! I'm glad you find the tips useful. :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM
Anonymous said...

I started my regular waxing schedule awhile back and loved my aesthetician but when she moved I found a new spa to start going to... the first time at my new spa I was blown away, I had never had such a painless waxing experience! After talking to my new aesthetician about it, she explained that their spa uses Lycon wax which is supposed to be the most painless wax available. All I know is I hardly felt a thing and I left with almost no redness (my super sensitive skin usually goes crazy with irritation). Making my Brazilians more bearable? I'm in love.

January 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Lucie: WOW! Where is Lycon wax sold? I'm Google-ing it now! Thanks for that and thanks for stopping by. :)

January 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM
MichelleTipp said...

Is there a particular type of wax you should use or will any spa know what was is safe and yields the best results?

November 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM
cocoa dollface said...

THIS IS AWESOME! Thank you for schooling us!!!!

November 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To MichelleTipp: Normally soft wax on legs and arms- and hard wax on eye brows, bikini and underarms. But, a reputable spa will know which type of wax to use where!

November 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To cocoa dollface: Thank you!!

November 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Post a Comment