Mischo Beauty School: Eyelashes 101



Eyelashes are my favorite new beauty accessory and my biggest challenge when it comes to applying my own. While I've mastered applying them to clients- technique and control definitely come with practice.

At any rate, there are two types of artificial eyelashes- band eyelashes and individual eyelashes. Band eyelashes (also called strip eyelashes) are applied to the natural eyelash line, using an adhesive, and are meant for single use. Individual eyelashes are applied to the eyelash line one at a time, using an eyelash glue, and should last up to two weeks. Artificial eyelashes are available in human hair, animal hair, synthetic fibers, and in a variety of colors.

Here are ten easy steps for applying band eyelashes:

1. Always wash your hands first to avoid infection.
2. Decide on length and desired effect of band eyelash.
3. Curl your eyelashes with an eyelash curler.
4. Apply eyeliner based on your desired effect.
5. Remove band eyelash from package and trim to fit the curve of your eyelid.
6. Apply a thin strip of adhesive to the eyelash band and allow to set for a few seconds.
7. Apply the band eyelash to the eyelash line.
8. Use tweezers to gently press and set it.
9. Retouch the eyelash line with eyeliner and you're done!
10. Repeat steps for second eyelash.

Eyelashes are easily removed using eyelash remover or makeup remover. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Love your lashes!

 

14 comments:

Wes said...

I recently started learning how to apply to false eyelashes, its actually quite simple and your directions are right on!

August 5, 2008 at 8:55 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Wes: Oh good! I think they're a great inexpensive accessory- I love a look w/ eyelashes! My inspiration is 6o's/70's Diana Ross!

August 5, 2008 at 9:34 AM
yummy411 said...

do you use flares? i just picked up some to practice, so that i can customize my own lashes and not always have to search for a perfect strip lash. any particular brand that you like? i got ardell and i'm not as hot on them....

August 5, 2008 at 2:52 PM
beautylogicblog said...

I had them put on me once. my eyes were so darn irritated afterwards, i wanted to throw myself out of a window. lol, she was probably putting them on wrong.

August 5, 2008 at 6:32 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Yummy411": I do, but I'm still learning placement with those- but I do agree w/ having more freedom to customize your look with them. I have no brand loyalty- I usually just get the Sossi brand from the beauty supply stores...

August 5, 2008 at 9:04 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Dominican Enigma": Oh no! I have my horror stories- like the time I went to a nail salon and had my lashes put on- and they used bonding glue that's supposed to be used on weaves! It took me forever to get those lashes off! Oh and the time I went to MAC and had lashes put on and there was space between my lash line and the actual lashes! WTH! Crazy!!! LOL.

August 5, 2008 at 9:36 PM
beautylogicblog said...

mischo, i'm sorry but that is hysterical. lol

August 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Unknown said...

Man, I still have some eyelashes in the package that I haven't used! I even went out and bought some lash adhesive and lash remover...sigh! I'll have to write your instructions down though! :)

August 6, 2008 at 11:01 PM
Brown Girl Gumbo said...

I'm such a lash fanatic!!! I have yet to apply them myself, but have been thinking about it since I love how I look with false ones. Great post!

August 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Dominican Enigma": OMG! Girl- I have so many more stories for you! LOL!

August 8, 2008 at 8:14 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Anjela @ BlaqVixenBeauty": Yes- use them!!! Just practice and you'll get it! :)

August 8, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Brown Girl Gumbo": Do it! Just practice and buy the inexpensive ones... or you could always drop by a MAC store and have them apply them (and teach/instruct you) at the same time...:)

August 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM
TheHaiRazor said...

I've always wanted to try applying them myself, but the last time I got lashes I hated it. My lashes are extremely curly (naturally) and it didn't blend. Do you know of any brands that may blend with curly lashes? Oh, btw even with mascara they don't straighten out much.

October 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To TheHaiRazor: I'm actually not quite sure...I'll inquire and get back to you!

November 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Post a Comment