Mischo Beauty School: Blackheads 101



After reviewing my previous posts on facials, exfoliation, serums, facial masks, facial cleansing, etc. I just realized that I've never discussed blackheads, or as they are technically called, "open comedones". Blackheads are simply a build up of hardened oil and dead skin cells in a hair follicle; and when the hair follicle is exposed to oxygen, it oxidizes and turns black- therefore the name "blackhead". I've seen blackheads on just about every skin type, but particularly on those with oily skin and oily t-zones. Here are ways to prevent them:

1. Use skincare products with noncomedogenic ingredients (will prevent pores from clogging)
2. Cleanse your skin both morning and night
3. Incorporate an exfoliant into your skincare regimen (will remove dead skin cells)
4. Incorporate a "clay-based" mask into your skincare regimen (will draw excess oil out of the follicle)
5. Incorporate a facial (professional cleansing, exfoliation, extractions, steam treatment, massage, etc) by an esthetician into your skincare regimen (the benefits are countless!)

Because my skin is pretty much normal, but with an oily t-zone, my blackheads show up around my nose and between my eyebrows. I'm able to keep them under control with exfoliation, using a clay-based mask on those areas only, and monthly facials.

Any questions? Love your skin.

 

4 comments:

Luxe Tips said...

Great recommendations! i am definitely purchasing the mask you recommended for me in your previous posts. i do need to beef up on the facial though.

Thanks!

July 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM
beautylogicblog said...

Yes i used to have so many blackheads it was disgusting. but not anymore!

July 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Lux Tips": Thank you! I hope it works out for you- if not, please let me know and I'll suggest others! :)

July 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Domincan Enigma": Well, I KNOW you take great care of your skin (loving all your product recs!) - especially if you're using a Clarisonic brush!

July 15, 2008 at 6:22 AM

Post a Comment