Mischo Beauty School: Hair Texture 101



So let's discuss hair texture. Hair texture is often a point of confusion, but simply means the diameter of each individual hair. The texture of hair generally falls into one of the following five categories:

A. Very Coarse
B. Coarse
C. Average
D. Fine
E. Very Fine

The coarser the hair, the thicker the cuticle and larger the cortex (the middle layer of the hair). Stronger, coarser hair textures will be able to withstand stronger chemicals and rougher treatments than fine hair. For example, I have coarse to very coarse hair and I'm surprised that I have hair today after allowing stylist after stylist to overprocess my hair (unknowingly!) during my college years. But due to my hair's strength it's been able to withstand the damage!

Hair textures have nothing to do with the quantity of individual hairs on the head so it is possible to have a thick head of fine hair and on the other hand a thin distribution of coarse hair. Make sense? Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions!

Love your hair.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad for this post because people seem to have a hard time understanding or believing me when I tell them my hair is not nearly as thick as they think it is. It is very curly and voluminous looking, but I actually have about average thickness with very coarse strands of hair, so it appears thicker than it really is. I should save this post for the next doubter. LOL!

May 20, 2008 at 3:52 PM
beautylogicblog said...

How has the Aubrey stuff been working on you sweetie? hugs, DE

May 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Curly Gurl": So basically your texture is "average" but because you have so much of it - it appears to be thicker than it actually is...

May 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "dominican enigma": I haven't tried the Aubrey products yet because I'm still finishing up my Ojon products- but you know I will let you know my thoughts! :)

May 21, 2008 at 1:03 PM
yummy411 said...

fredrick fekkai sent a congrats/thanks video to us TB bloggers for the summit! ultra cool =) and yes he has fabulous hair... *swoons*

May 28, 2008 at 8:14 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "yummy 411": Awwww! So sad I missed the summit- but I plan to be there in November and YES- I'm definitely a Fekkai fan! :)

May 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Post a Comment