Mischo Beauty School: Bikini Waxing 101




This lesson was inspired by the many questions I’ve received from the models who’ve volunteered to be waxed for my waxing class. The majority of questions involve the bikini wax. Waxing, a form of epilation, removes hair by pulling it out of the hair follicle. Because hair is removed from the hair follicle, it takes longer to grow back- generally 4-6 weeks. Below I’ve listed my best tips on how to prepare for waxing and what to expect:

  • Your hair should be at least a 1/4 to 1/2 inch long, if longer, prepare to have it trimmed by your esthetician.
  • Plan to wax after your menstrual cycle because your body will be less sensitive.
  • Lightly exfoliate a few days before waxing to remove dead skin cells and make hair easier to adhere to the wax.
  • A Brazilian bikini wax involves the removal of all hair, except for a “landing strip” in the front, but you may choose to have it all removed.
  • Your esthetician will tweeze stray hairs.
  • It may take 24 hours for any redness or soreness to disappear. During that time, avoid the sun, exfoliation, cream irritants and excessive heat.
  • Try to avoid caffeine, alcohol and aspirin before waxing as these heighten sensitivity.
  • If the wax pot has old wax on it and a spatula sitting in the wax- RUN! There may be sanitation issues.
  • If your esthetician “double-dips” the spatula in the wax pot each time wax is applied to the area to be waxed- RUN! There are definitely sanitation issues.
  • Do not wax if you use Accutane, Retin-A, are sunburned, using other topical AHA's, or medications that will make your skin reactive to waxing.
  • Do not wax if you have diabetes. You are more vulnerable to infection.
  • You must wax consistently every 4 - 6 weeks for the first few times. This will give your hair time to begin growing on the same hair cycle. Don’t shave in between waxing appointments.
  • Resume exfoliation about 3 days after waxing to ensure the removal of dead skin cells, which, if not removed, could cause the hair to grow inward resulting in ingrown hairs.

Love your skin!

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

 

11 comments:

BeautyTalk said...

I've never gotten a bixini wax and I really want that smooth, silky feeling. I'm just terrified of the pain!

March 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

I'd recommend it over shaving any day! The process is so fast and so worth it. I'd say try it at least once- I bet you'll be hooked! :)

March 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "beautytalk":

BTW, love your blog!

March 24, 2008 at 2:23 PM
MissBianca said...

I'm such a punk and too shy ... lol I get my arms waxed and get my eyebrows and lip threaded but I'm still terrified of the Brazilian. Hopefully, I'll get over it shouldn't be more painful than threading...

March 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

Well with threading- each individual hair is pulled from the follicle- one at a time- though it's fast. But with waxing, you have multiple hairs pulled at once- it's very quick and before you know it, it's over!

You should try it- at least once!

March 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM
SoCal Boho said...

For those that have never been waxed you should try it. It's great, I can only speak for myself, it doesn't/has never hurt me and I get a brazilian. I firmly believe in a great aesthetician. Start out with just getting your bikini line waxed and move in each time you go.

November 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "MsCuppyCakes": Great advice! Thanks so much. :)

December 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM
Kim said...

So for a first timer-how do you recommend picking someone to do it? I am in a new city, so the friends I have, we're not quite at the "hey, who pulls the hair out from your bits" stage.

June 16, 2011 at 10:18 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Kim: LOL. I would recommend checking out yelp.com for a listing of spas in your area. Read the comments/feedback - and maybe go from there. Also, before actually booking a bikini wax, maybe start with an eyebrow wax or a leg wax so you'll get a feel for the esthetician's level of professionalism, etc.

I hope this helps! :)

June 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found
any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the
internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.


My site; hair removal for men balls ()

October 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Ethel D. Hunziker said...

These are so hot and amazing. I am loving the accessories . These are so stuning. I think would be convenient to use. I am loving the accessories. Here is calvinklein t shirt bra this one is also nice.

December 1, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Post a Comment