Mischo Beauty School: Understanding Your Hair Type (A Lesson from Andre Walker)



If you watched Oprah's "Ultimate Favorite Things" show a few weeks ago, then you know by now that her hairstylist, Andre Walker, has finally released a collection of hair care products which are formulated to work with all hair types and textures. Well, I'm dying to try them and as soon as I do, I'll let you know my thoughts!

But in the meantime, I wanted to share with you all a post on "hair types" from almost two years ago. I was first introduced to the concept after reading through a few hair forums. Yes, I'm a licensed cosmetologist, but I'd never heard the term - neither in cosmetology school, or in any of my cosmetology textbooks. I guess the closest to what I'd learned about "hair type" was hair texture.

A reader asked a question about hair types here, and I followed up with this post. Andre is credited with originating this term and in his book "Andre Talks Hair!", he states the following:

"Stop reading fashion magazines that tell you there's just one hair type if you're African-American, Asian, or whatever. Forget about race- there's no such thing as "black" hair or "Asian" hair or even "Caucasian" hair. And, please, please, please, let's retire forever those antiquated stereotypes about "good" hair versus "bad" hair. The fact is, everyone has "good" hair - you just have to know how to take care of your hair type."

And so he goes on to break hair type down into the following categories (there are subtypes within each category, such as A, B, C, etc.):

Type 1: Straight Hair: Hair holds no curl or wave, but has lots of shine.

Type 2: Wavy Hair: Hair tends to be coarse, with a definite "S" shape pattern.

Type 3: Curly Hair: Hair is very fine in texture; definite loopy "S" pattern.

Type 4: Kinky Hair: Hair is very fragile; very tightly coiled/curled.

Ok, so there you have it- according to Andre! Now the book is full of tips on solving hair issues, finding the right stylist, choosing a haircut and a whole lot more. I definitely recommend checking it out!

Any questions? Love your hair.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment