Ask Mischo Beauty...



This week's question comes from Habibah, who asked the following:

"What tips/advice would you give to stop nail biting?"

I really wish I had the perfect answer for you! Nail biting is a hard habit to break. You should try to first determine the reason for the nail biting - which might mean seeing a dermatologist. Also, keep in mind the germs/bacteria you're passing back and forth between your nails/fingers and your mouth and the potential of infection!

I asked my friend Shalon, who is a licensed esthetician and manicurist, to share her best tips for preventing nail biting:


- Try to get weekly manicures. Keeping your nails neat and groomed may prevent you from trying to "groom" them yourself.

- If weekly manicures aren't in your budget, keep your nails polished. Knowing that you will mess up your polish may keep you from biting your nails.

- Keep a cuticle cream or oil (Kiehl's Cuticle Cream or OPI's Cuticle Oil) in your purse. This will help with nail growth. Once you see growth, hopefully this will discourage you from biting your nails.

I hope this helps. Please stop back by and let us know how you choose to move forward, as well as what works for you. Love your nails.

If you have beauty questions you'd like answered, please send them to
mischobeauty@gmail.com.

 

5 comments:

Bibah said...

Thanks for responding to my question. I tend to bite my nails when I am in "think" mode. Lately, I find myself playing with my hands to keep them out of my mouth. One would think my Biology background would be enough to keep me away from this nasty habit. Recently, I observed my four year old gnawing away on his nails and that is when I knew I needed to set an example and stop biting my nails.

Just this weekend I noticed my cuticles were dry so I will def. try one of the cuticle oils you recommended. I will also try the manicures and painting my nails. I'll keep you posted of my progress.

Once again.........Thanks!

December 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Unknown said...

I am a reformed nail biter. Keeping them polished and pretty has been the best solution. Currently, I do my nails twice a week (Sundays and Wednesdays) to keep them fresh.

December 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Bibah: You're welcome, Bibah! I really hope this helps. Please stop back by and let us know what's working for you.

December 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To uhhlisa: Oh goood! Glad to know what works for you. Thanks for sharing that, uhhlisa!

December 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM
curly gurl said...

Bibah, I had a nailbiting problem a while ago and used a Sally Hansen product that you paint onto your nails which is terribly bitter when you taste it. That seems like a good deterent for a month or so or however long you need to break the habit. Also, the chemicals in nail polish are dangerous to ingest, so if you're wearing polish daily, that could be enough to keep you away! Good luck :)

December 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Post a Comment