Mischo Beauty Review: Bliss Spa at the W Hotel (Washington D.C.)



A few weeks ago, as a pre-birthday celebration, my friend and I decided to visit the new Bliss Spa at the W Hotel (Washington, DC). As most of you know, I love to spa (remember this review), and so we were actually overdue with this visit after considering the fact that it's been open for a year now. Because we'd planned to do lunch at POV, which is the W Hotel's rooftop restaurant, we decided to keep our spa treatments simple and booked ourselves for a manicure, pedicure and brazilian bikini wax.

What's important to know is that this Bliss location, in my opinion, is for treatment maintenance only. It's small - the relaxation area only seats four comfortably, the changing area is tiny, and there's only one shower and one restroom (for women). There are four treatment rooms, two stations for manicures, and two stations for pedicures. It lacks of ambiance, but I do think it's a great place to go for your monthly maintenance treatments such as- waxing, facials, etc. - especially if you find a spa therapist there you love!

Well, that happened to be the case with me. You see, I had the most amazing brazilian bikini wax (brazilian bikini - the fully monty) here, and the spa therapist responsible for it was Shae Jackson. Shae's waxing technique is like none other I've experienced, which made the service quick and almost painless (no brazilian bikini wax is completely pain free!). My disclosure to you is that I'm naturally biased (because I'm an esthetician, I naturally have very high expectations) when it comes to spa services. She used hard wax, never double-dipped, and sanitation/disinfection was taken very seriously! I was beyond pleased with the results.

I also had a manicure (Bliss hot cream manicure) and pedicure (Bliss basic pedicure) which unfortunately were "nothing to write home about". The services were just average, which doesn't quite justify the $80 price and 20% gratuity. But, I guess you win some and lose some, and I definitely "won" with the waxing service!

If you've visited this Bliss location, I'd love to hear about your experience. So, please share it in the comments section.

 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to agree. Next time if I want to relax I will go to The Red Door. It was fun to try a new place tho, but for $80, my polish shouldn't chip 2 days later. Loved lunch at the POV.

October 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Sinead Norenius said...

Sounds dreamy! I will be in DC in Nov - will have to book an appointment!

October 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shalon: But I guess the bottom line is- you'll never know what the services are like until you try them. :)

October 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Sinead Norenius: We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please come back and share them with us. :)

October 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM
andrea said...

I've read great things about miss Shae Jackson... might have to pay her a visit ;)

October 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To andrea: Yes, please do!

October 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Anonymous said...

I am in the process of booking an appointment for a facial, is Shae good? Would you recommend her? Thanks

May 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

I would definitely book with Shae! I've only had a brazilian bikini wax with her and I was very impressed with her professionalism, technique/skill and her product knowledge. I would definitely book other services with her.

If you decide to go with her, please come back and leave a comment letting me know how it went!

Enjoy. :)

May 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Post a Comment