Mischo Beauty School: Jojoba Oil 101



This post is dedicated to Charlene, who left a comment recently asking me to write a post on the benefits of jojoba oil. I'd written a post about two years ago, and so I'm repeating it today for those of you who may have missed it.

So very simply, jojoba oil is extracted from bean-like seeds of a desert shrub. Chemically, jojoba oil is very similar to human sebum, which is the oil produced by the body and used to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When this oil decreases due to age, stress, pollution, or the environment, jojoba oil can be used to replicate it.

Hair is often stripped of protective oils and never replenished, and jojoba oil is an effective conditioner, moisturizer and hair softener. Jojoba oil conditions the hair and prevents it from becoming dull and brittle. It is also a widely used ingredient in shampoos, conditioners, lotions, nail care products, baby care products, bath oils, soaps, sunscreen, makeup products and perfumes.

And so I'm definitely recommending jojoba oil for dry hair during this winter season. My recommendations for it's use are as follows:

- Use as a "pre-poo"/preconditioning/hot oil treatment by heating it up and applying to your hair and scalp. Allow to penetrate hair and scalp for about 15- 20 minutes and follow with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.

- Use as a deep conditioner by adding it to your favorite conditioner and sitting under a dryer for 30 minutes.

- Use as a blow-drying serum. Apply to wet hair before blow-drying. It's the right amount of moisture without weighing hair down. And, it adds a great shine!

- Use nightly (or as needed) on dry ends or other dry areas of hair before wrapping hair with a satin/silk scarf.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions! Love your hair.

 

8 comments:

Yashieka said...

I absolutely LOVE Jajoba oil! I mix it with all my lotions and my little hair cocktail I use. Sometimes before I take Cold Shower (yea, I did write cold showers, the benefits of cold showers are GREAT), I usually rub it all over my body and I also use it right after a "regular" shower. Since I started using Jajoba (and other essential oils) oil, I can definitely see a difference. Gotta nuture your body!

December 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Marina (makeup4all) said...

Nice post:)It's so great that you are answering the questions if your readers.
And I wolud love to read about your hair care routine .
PS. I hope you loved the Molton Brown Event ;)

December 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM
Chet said...

Lately my hair has been shedding really bad and I don't know if it's the weather or what. Do you have any tips on how to prevent it from shedding so much? I have eczema too and have gone about 2 months or so without a perm but that just doesn't make sense if that particular reason were the cause. Looking forward to your response hopefully with some budget friendly products for my very dry scalp.

December 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Charlene said...

Thanks honey!!! I should really use this for more things...i don't use it in my hair, i just use it on my face...thanks for all the new tips!!! :)

Char

December 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Yashieka: Exactly! There are sooo many ways to use jojoba oil... :)

February 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Marina (makeup4all): It may take some time, but I will get back to my readers w/ answers! And yes, I am so very happy the Molton Brown event was a huge success!

February 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Chet: Shedding and eczema definitely don't mix. I'd honestly suggest that you see a Dermatologist to ensure nothing hormonal/internal is going on...

February 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Charlene: You're very welcome- anytime! :)

February 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Post a Comment