Mischo Beauty Pick: Sundari's Neem and Coconut Hair Treatment Oil



I'm dedicating this post to all the lovers of coconut oil (DE--> I'm talking to you!) and to those who've always wanted to try it- but haven't yet. Now I'll be the first to admit that when I started this blog I thought jojoba oil was the absolute best. But since then, I've learned about the greatness of coconut oil!


You see the hair is made up of three layers- the cuticle, cortex and medulla. Most oils only coat the cuticle layer, barely penetrating it. It's been proven that coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft, so it passes through the cuticle and cortex layers (most of us don't have the medulla layer) and this means that the protective oils that were stripped away due to shampooing, chemicals and heat styling- are replenished, while strengthening and nourishing the hair.



This new treatment oil, by Sundari, combines both coconut oil and neem oil (which has been used in India for centuries for its healing properties; and used here to promote scalp health), and is recommended as a pre-shampooing treatment (massaging it into the hair and scalp, and leaving on for 30 minutes prior to shampooing).

So based on all that I know and what I've recently learned- I'm excited about this product! What do you think, ladies?

 

8 comments:

MakeupByRenRen said...

sounds fab! i got a cheap coconut oil from the indian aisle at my farmers market and i think it made my scalp break out, lol...this one looks more promising!

March 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Anonymous said...

i would love to try that, but can't find it anywhere!

March 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "MakeupByRenRen": So sorry to hear that! You should definitely give this one a try. :)

March 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shelley: Please accept my apologies - here's the link where you can make a purchase:

http://www.sundari.com

March 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Ugochi said...

oooh - this looks nice! random question - how come not everyone has a medulla layer of hair?

April 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Beauty 365": It's based on genetics- typically those with coarse/thick hair have a "medulla" which is the innermost portion of the hair shaft (cuticle--> cortex---> medulla). Those with thin/fine hair and with blonde hair most often don't have the medulla.

Now, how much the medulla contributes to the strength and overall health of the hair would be a question for a physiologist. I'm sure there is some debate with regards to it.

I hope that helped! :)

April 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Eve's Core said...

omg! - Thanks so much for this suggestion, I will soon need an alternative - see I'm currently using "Global Goddess Amla and Coconut Oil Hair Treatment" - which I found on clearance from a major dept. store; I love this stuff for my thirsty type 4 hair!
I read somewhere the great benefits of using coconut oil as a pre-treatment prior shampoo,......" is found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. "

-Thanks

February 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Eve's Core: WOW! Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. I, too, have heard/read the same information. I'm definitely a fan of coconut oil, I just don't use it exclusively... :)

February 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Post a Comment