Mischo Beauty School: Blackheads 101



A special thanks to all of you who continue to send me questions on skin, hair and makeup. I love answering your questions- so please keep them coming! Most recently I've received quite a few questions on blackheads and so I'm reposting my original post because I feel it should answer all of the questions I've received so far. Also, I'm inviting you all to check out my posts on facials, exfoliation, serums, facial masks, and facial cleansing.

Blackheads, technically called "open comedones", are simply a build up of hardened oil and dead skin cells in a hair follicle; and when the hair follicle is exposed to oxygen, it oxidizes and turns black- therefore the name "blackhead". I've seen blackheads on just about every skin type, but particularly on those with oily skin and oily t-zones. Here are ways to prevent them:

1. Use skincare products with noncomedogenic ingredients (prevents pores from clogging)
2. Cleanse your skin both morning and night (removes dirt, oil, product build-up, etc.)
3. Incorporate an exfoliant into your skincare regimen (removes dead skin cells)
4. Incorporate a "clay-based" mask into your skincare regimen (draws excess oil out of the follicle)
5. Incorporate a facial (professional cleansing, exfoliation, extractions, steam treatment, massage, etc) by an esthetician into your skincare regimen (the benefits are countless!)

Because my skin is pretty much normal, but with an oily t-zone, my blackheads show up around my nose and between my eyebrows. I'm able to keep them under control with exfoliation, using a clay-based mask on those areas only, monthly facials and my new Clarisonic skincare brush!

Please send me your questions! Love your skin.

 

6 comments:

Media Moll said...

Thanks for this post. How often should you exfoliate, apply a mask, and schedule a facial?

October 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "hypnotic": I'd suggest exfoliating 2-3 times a week, depending on your skin's sensitivity level- be careful to not over-do it! I'd apply a mask once a week- maybe twice (if your skins is super dry or super oily) and schedule a facial monthly!

I hope this helped! :)

October 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Anonymous said...

I do believe this is a must have and it is a great Christmas present

October 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Anonymous said...

even thought i don't have a major problem w/ blackheads... i do have oily skin and do need to start scheduling monthly facials as well ;)

October 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Nalo: I agree! Thanks for stopping by. :)

October 21, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Andrea: OMG- your skin will love you for it forever! You should also consider the Clarisonic skincare brush too! It's perfect for at-home, in-between facial use! :)

October 21, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Post a Comment