Mischo Beauty School: Haircolor 101



I've received quite a few emails lately asking me if my haircolor is natural. And the answer is "YES!". My grandmother and a few of her brothers had red hair, so it skipped my mother and luckily I was next in line. And while I love it now, it made for a very interesting childhood- to say the least! Anyway, since completing cosmetology school and haircolor apprenticeships at Vidal Sassoon and Red Door, I've become very passionate about haircolor and yes, I'm writing about it again! I've done root touch-ups, highlights, gray coverage, bleach & tones, highlift blondes, and single & double haircolor processes. Believe it or not, I was always able to find a model that needed one of these services and the results always left me amazed and excited about the next challenge.

With that said, let's discuss haircolor. It falls into four categories: temporary, semipermanent, demipermanent, and permanent.

1. Temporary haircolor coats the hair shaft and is easily removed by shampooing. Examples include: color rinses or color-enhancing shampoos.

2. Semipermanent haircolor partially penetrates the hair shaft and slowly fades with shampooing. It doesn't lighten the hair and is usually used to enhance fading haircolor.

3. Demipermanent haircolor doesn't lighten hair and, like semipermanent haircolor, it is used to enhance fading haircolor. It penetrates the hair shaft and lasts longer than semipermanent haircolor.

4. Permanent haircolor is used to lighten hair and also to cover grey. It remains in the hair shaft until the growth of new hair.

Any questions? Feel free to ask away! Love your hair.

(photos courtesy of essence.com)

 

2 comments:

Butta said...

Funny you should post about this today because I've been having a love/hate relationship with my highlights for the past few weeks and I'm leaning more and more toward "hate" every time I look at them. My highlighted hair looks fried (IMO at least) and this wasn't the look I was going for at all but my hairdresser just doesn't "get it." What's the best way for me to fix this mess and not do anymore damage to my hair short of getting a baldie and starting all over again? :0)

August 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Butta": So sorry to hear that! :(

First I'd recommend that you deep condition your hair at least once a week- and make sure you sit under a hooded-hair dryer! Use coconut oil or mix coconut oil w/ your deep conditioning treatment of choice for maximum penetration into the hair shaft.

Secondly, I'm assuming your hairstylist used bleach to lighten your hair and then deposited haircolor on top of your lighten hair to achieve the desired color? If this is the case- you could try using a demipermanent color on the highlights to darken them- and the demipermanent color will also condition them as well. But, I can't guarantee the result, only because you're just depositing color on top of the color you already have.

Also, permanent haircolor will not lift permanent haircolor- so using a permanent haircolor will only darken what you currently have.

So you do have a few options. I'd recommend definitely going to an expert- try Tulip at Red Door (Pentagon City). You could at least do a consultation with her and give yourself some time to think about your options!

I hope this helped! :)

August 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Post a Comment