Mischo Beauty School: Hair Relaxers & Thinning/Breakage 101



Since my post last week, I've received many e-mails regarding the use of hair relaxers resulting in hair breakage and thinning hair, so I've decided to address this issue. Damage from relaxers could result from a number of different reasons. When you're trying to determine the cause, consider the following:

1. The "strength" of the relaxer might be stronger than that needed for your particular hair texture. Relaxers come in "mild, regular or super" strengths. For example, if your hair texture is "fine" and you choose to relax your hair, you should only use a "mild" strength relaxer. Using anything stronger will definitely result in damage and possibly hair loss!

2. Your stylist may not be applying the relaxer properly. It should ONLY be applied to your NEW hair growth, every 6-9 weeks, or depending on your rate of hair growth. No overlapping onto previously relaxed hair!

3. Thermal styling might be an issue. Are you frequently using a curling iron, flat iron or blow-dryer? If so, they might be contributing to your hair thinning/breakage. If you have relaxed hair, you should use the least amount of heat to style it as possible.

4. Do you color your hair? If you use permanent haircolor, the application should be at least two weeks after relaxing or you will experience thinning/breakage and possibly serious hair loss. Also, because your hair will now have to withstand two chemical processes, you should consider using a mild relaxer.

If you're thinning near the scalp, then it's probably from improper application or overlapping of the relaxer onto the previously relaxed hair.

If you're thinning along the length of the hair, then it's probably due to excessive heat from a curling/flat iron, blow-drying or constant chemical overprocessing.

Hopefully you and your stylist are able to identify the problem and implement a new haircare regimen. If you feel that your problem is different from those listed above, I'd recommend you visit a Dermatologist. Please feel free to leave questions in the " Comments" section!

Love your hair.

 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post I have not tried Kerastase yet, I'm tempted though. I too have suffered the damage that relaxers can cause. I have grown my relaxer out and will never get one again.

What I have done to help bring my hair back is vitamins. Phytophanere Vitamins for hair and nails, Silica which helps with making hair thicker, and GNC Prenatal Vitamins.

Another thing that I have heard about is using a mix of oils with Humco flowers of sulfur powder. This mixture is supposed to have antibacterial qualities to clear the hair follicle and stimulate hair growth. I have read a number of hair forums and the girls who use this stuff get 2-3 inches of growth per month. This is my next experiment. I'll let you know how it goes. Sorry for being long winded I get excited about hair.

June 23, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shalon: Thanks for that! Please keep me updated on the "Humco Flowers"! Oh, and by the way, where can you purchase that?

June 24, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Anonymous said...

Shalon, Could you share how your acquaintance came to use the oil/sulfur powder mixture? It makes sense when you think about the hair dressing, what is it called, Sulfur 8? But I searched the Humco and their description scared me! I havent relaxed my hair since high school, but am always looking for ways to improve the health of my hair, and if it is safe I am all for trying it! The link to the Humco site is: http://www.humco.com/assets/pdf/0167-Sulfur_Sublimed_Powder.pdf

June 24, 2008 at 9:24 AM
Anonymous said...

My hair is chemically treated too and I do have concerns with breakage once in a while. I'll check out the Keratase Resistance Substance Constructive Treatment for my hair. Thanks for the post.

June 24, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Unknown said...

To curly girl and mischo beauty:
You can order the sulfur sublimed powder (flowers) from this website http://store.humco.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?0X337921

I got the instructions from three girls hair forum albums. All of them include instructions, ingredients, and warnings.

I think that it is best to use this as a pre-shampoo treatment the night before to be washed out the next morning.

Here are the links to the three girls albums who have used the sulfur. Check out their hair albums. All of them have very thick healthy hair. If you have any more questions just ask me or if you can't get to the link properly maybe I can email the information to you.

http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn78/how-i-care-for-my-hair/protective-styling-/hearts.html
http://public.fotki.com/nurseN98/sulfur-mix/sulfur-recipe/fotki021.html
http://public.fotki.com/jenteel/old-hair-stuff/products_and_tools/dsc03724.html

If you are afraid of the sulfur there is something else you may be interested in that includes sulfur. It is called Sulu Max Gro. Here is the story behind it.

Many women were using something called Shapley's MTG on their scalps to promote hair growth. MTG is a product that is used to promote healthy hair and growth on horses. So when the company found out that women were using it they created a oil for us. Here is the link :http://suluhair.com/home.html.

If you ladies try it let me know what you think. I'm going to use it myself this summer. Maybe we can have a growth challenge to see if it really works.

June 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM
Anonymous said...

Thank you, Shalon! I've checked out the sites and may check it out. Anything for a glorious mane!! Well, almost anything...

June 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM
Anonymous said...

Should say, "And may try some of the recommendations..." Thanks again, and thanks for your tips, Mischo!

June 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Curly Gurl": Ok- I remember the old-school "Sulfur8"! I'm gonna buy some and look the ingredients up in my Cosmetics Dictionary.

Thanks for sending the link! I'm gonna check it out.

June 26, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Diana": Thanks for stopping by! Please let me know if you decide to check it out. :)

June 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Shalon": Girl- you are on top of it! Wow. Ok, give me a few days to check out all the links and I'll get back to you!:)

June 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Curly Gurl": As always, thanks for checking back... oh- and let me know what you decide to try! :)

June 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Post a Comment