Mischo Beauty School: Nail Shape 101



I'll be the first to admit that while I loved the chocolate, burgundy and deep blues & green nail colors for the fall/winter, I can't wait to start wearing the bright, neon and pastel colors for the spring/summer. With that said, let's discuss how to choose a nail shape before your manicure appointment.

Here are a few things to consider:

1. The shape of your hands
2. The length of your fingers
3. The shape of your cuticles
4. The type of work you do


I was always taught (well I learned this in cosmetology school, during the nail curriculum!) that the shape of your nail should mirror the shape of your cuticles. This will ensure the most natural look, which in turn compliments your hands. And believe it or not- here are the most requested shapes:

1. Square Nail
2. Round Nail
3. Oval Nail
4. Squoval Nail
5. Pointed Nail


Keep in mind that an unusual shape will definitely draw attention to your nails and hands. And, if you work with your hands, you should definitely choose a shape that will allow for a shorter nail length in order to avoid breakage.

Questions? What's your nail shape and why? Love your nails.

 

10 comments:

So Obsessed said...

I tend to keep my nails square - i don't like round at all, unless i'm forced due to a broken nail. Now that you've educate me, I think my cuticles are a squoval shape, so maybe next appt. I'll ask for that!

March 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM
The Informed Makeup Maven said...

Thanks for this great post! I always struggle to shape my nails cause the thought of a file across them sends chills up my spine. I normally trim them into shape and keep them short and squaoval.

March 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Robin said...

Squoval - ha, love it! I tend to keep mine really short and square too, but I tend to love the bold, punchier colors and those just look better on shorter nails than the talons that were popular earlier.

I'm currently testing OPI's Axxium gel polish in Russian Navy. Pray that my nails don't look disastrous when I need to take it off or swap colors! Two 1/2 weeks and chip free so far though!

March 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Marina(Makeup4All) said...

I always have problems with my nails:( So I don't have the same shape, I have to change it from time to time. But I like square the best!

March 29, 2010 at 7:40 AM
Amber Nofetari said...

I like oval nails! they are so retro and I really do love how they look on my dainty fingers. Square nails overwhelm them.

March 29, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To The Obsessionista: Please let me know how it works out! :)

March 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To The Informed Makeup Maven: LOL. Nice!

March 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Robin: Wow! "Two 1/2 weeks and chip free" - clearly I'm missing out on that! Adding it to the list. Thanks for that! :)

March 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Marina(Makeup4All): I completely understand. :)

March 31, 2010 at 6:30 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Amber Nefertari: I'm with you- I can't do a "square" shape either... :)

March 31, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Post a Comment