What are your thoughts on Essence Magazine’s Beauty Director & Cover Editor, Mikki Taylor’s recent departure from the magazine?



I'm sure you've all heard the news about her retirement, and according to a press release issued by Essence, she will move into the position of Editor-at-Large. I had no idea she'd been with the magazine for 30 years- amazing! Growing up, the magazine could easily be found in my mother's home, grandmother's home- it really was all black women had for so many years. Mikki's direction of and contributions to the magazine will definitely be missed!

So my question for you today is: What are your thoughts on Mikki's departure? Do you think the magazine will suffer because of it? Or, do you feel change is great, and this is just a move in a new/fresh direction?

 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it will be exciting for the mag!

March 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Ann-Marie said...

Mikkis is great - sad, but Essence will always be a strong magazine.

March 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Tamar: I hope so! :)

March 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Ann-Marie: I'm excited to see what's to come! :)

March 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM
Andrea said...

I think her departure will be a new beginning for the mag and I'm excited to see how it evolves. I'm just as excited to see what's in store for Mikki beyond Essence. I'm just glad it didn't fold as were the rumors. It's my favorite glossy and "we" don't really have anything else to take its place.

March 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM
ElleB said...

I'm sad to see Mikki go! But she's been there forever and it's time for her to move on.

March 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Jinny said...

It's a bittersweet feeling. She could be embracing the change herself and possibly excited to part ways. I hope her the next person is able to fill her shoes. I'm excited to see a fresh perspective though.

bobbybeauty.blogspot.com

March 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Andrea: I agree- the think it will be a positive change. :)

March 31, 2010 at 7:02 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To ElleB: Agree! :)

March 31, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Janine the Writer: I totally agree with you on the "fresh perspective"! :)

March 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Post a Comment