Mischo Beauty School: Haircolor 101



With spring here and summer around the corner, some of you are probably considering a change in your haircolor. I've found that with the arrival of the warmer months, many clients prefer to lighten their hair or add highlights; and the opposite seems to be the case with the cooler months.

With that said, let's quickly review the four categories of haircolor so that you're able to make informed decisions when it comes to your hair! The categories are as follows: temporary, semipermanent, demipermanent, and permanent.

1. Temporary haircolor coats the hair shaft and is easily removed by shampooing. Examples include: color rinses or color-enhancing shampoos.

2. Semipermanent haircolor partially penetrates the hair shaft and slowly fades with shampooing. It doesn't lighten the hair and is usually used to enhance fading haircolor.

3. Demipermanent haircolor doesn't lighten hair and, like semipermanent haircolor, it is used to enhance fading haircolor. It penetrates the hair shaft and lasts longer than semipermanent haircolor.

4. Permanent haircolor is used to both lighten and darken hair, and also to cover grey. It remains in the hair shaft until the growth of new hair.

So that's it for now! Please leave your questions in the "comments section" and we'll definitely chat more! Also, I'd love to know your haircolor plans! Planning to go a shade lighter or two shades lighter? Or, are you planning to go red, brown- or maybe highlights?

 

10 comments:

Seymone said...

Hey lady.. I am going to do a block color in the front of my hair.. Auburn but more on the reddish side

April 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Seymone: Ooooooh! Please let me know when you have pics posted on your blog- I can't wait to see! :)

April 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Anonymous said...

Why did Revlon's Colorist disappear from store shelves and on-line?

April 7, 2009 at 8:19 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Anonymous": I'm actually not sure... you may want to visit Revlon's website for more information. :)

April 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Amber Nofetari said...

It's quite a dilemna for me! I think I'd like to bring out my natural color a bit more rather than dye my hair though. It's light brown with highlights but can only be seen in the summer when it's sunny. I want to pump up the hue :)

June 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Amber: Well, you should try a semi-permanent haircolor or gloss. Because they're "deposit only", they will only deposit color and enhance your current haircolor. Both are very gentle, so no need to worry about damage.

I hope that helped. :)

June 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM
Anonymous said...

Hi,I'm thinking about changing my hair color to a lighter shade.My natural hair color is a dark brown,but my hair about three quarter black from when i previously colored my hair.I would like to color it the same shade as Beyonce,i would love to know what color it is and if I should use a permanent or semi permanent color?.Thank you

May 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

First, I'm not sure of the color of Beyonce's current haircolor. You may want to go to L'Oreal's website to learn more.

Secondly, because you've previously colored your hair, you'll more than likely need a double-process. The first step would be to remove or lighten the portion of your hair that is still black. Once you've done that and your hair is pretty much all one color (hopefully that of your natural haircolor), the next step would be to apply the actual desired haircolor which would be a permanent haircolor.

Just so you know, semipermanent haircolor partially penetrates the hair shaft and slowly fades with shampooing. It doesn't lighten the hair and is usually used to enhance fading haircolor.

I hope this helps! :)

June 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Anonymous said...

It helps a lot,Thank you very much. When it's done I will let you know the results.

June 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Anonymous: My pleasure! And, my absolute passion! :)

June 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Post a Comment