Mischo Beauty Review: Rescue Beauty Lounge

On Sunday, a friend and I traveled to New York to celebrate her birthday with the treat of spa treatments. We chose Rescue Beauty Lounge and Bliss due to their constant exposure in the chicest glossies (Vogue, Allure, Instyle, Elle, etc.) and the fact that they were started by fearless beauty professionals, like ourselves, who had the courage to step out on faith and pursue their entrepreneurial dreams.

Our first stop was Rescue Beauty Lounge (34 Gansevoort) for the Signature Pedicure. I have to preface this with the reminder that I'm a licensed beauty professional, as is my friend, who is an esthetician and manicurist. Upon entry you could see that the minimalist, chic interior could possibly benefit from an upgrade (which, in today's economy, could be daunting). The retail area had a variety of beauty products to choose from, but lacked a wide selection of nail colors. The staff was very friendly and very accomodating, but I was surprised to see that the nail techs' "uniforms" were individually chosen jeans and white t-shirts. They looked a bit uncoordinated and uncomfortable.

I would give the pedicure I received an average rating. The pedicure seating area was well-designed, but was small, leaving little room for movement of any sort. I'm an easy pedicure because I never have my cuticles cut, nor do I ever need to have dead skin removed (I do that regularly at home). So my nail tech cut and shaped my nails, pushed my cuticles back, applied the exfoliating body wash, moisturized my feet and polished my nails. She failed to massage my legs and feet and the steamed towels she applied after the moisturizer had already cooled. The rolled tissue, which was used as toe separators, easily leads to polished toes touching each other, and appeared out of place.

The nail tech did an excellent job polishing my nails with their Killa Red nail polish, which I loved so much that I bought a bottle, along with the Citrus Vert Exfoliating Body Wash (which was used as my foot scrub). I love the Rescue Beauty Lounge concept of the intimate boutique nail spa and the signature treatments and products, and I admire all that Ji Baek (the founder) has been able to accomplish.

I'd love to hear your thoughts? Has anyone been to either location?

 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I love the concept of the salon, but I was expecting more based on all the magazine hype. But I will say that I really like the Rescue Beauty Products.

April 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Jamie said...

I really appreciate this review. I've never gone, but have always wanted to. But I'm thinking my money is better spent at the walk-in place on the corner -- it sounds pretty comparable! Too bad.

April 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To Shalon: Well my expectations were sky-high I must admit... but I can't wait to start using my Killa Red nail polish and my new scrub!

April 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "beautychick101": Well I'd been dying to go after having read about it for years... but I will say that every experience is individual, so you might have a totally different experience... I'm loving my "Killa Red" nail polish!

April 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM
fuzkittie said...

Hmm, I have pretty high expectations of this place as well due to the hype, and from your detailed review it seems as though I would be a bit let down if I got to go there. Well, at least you got some really cute polish!

April 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "Fuzkittie": Well I'll say this- everyone's experience will be different and also- there are two locations- so maybe try the other location? But, I do love my Killa Red nail polish!

April 9, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Anonymous said...

What's funny is this weekend I had the same experience at the Delano's Aqua Spa in Miami. I just knew I was going to get my money's worth and there was no massage (as listed) and they used rolled tissue. They applied to color nicely but I paid $130 for a mani/pedi...I hate when these things are a disappointment.

April 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Mischo Beauty said...

To "DWJ": I completely understand- especially when you go with such high expectations. The one thing I will say is that I know every experience is individual, so what one person experiences might be totally different from someone else- but I love to hear the reviews!

Thanks for reading this post!

April 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Post a Comment